One of the common questions we get asked at our cannabis retail store is what is Cannabidiol or CBD? Cannabidiol, or CBD is a key cannabinoid naturally found in both hemp and cannabis. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, cannabidiol is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid, meaning it will not make you feel “stoned”. Although cannabis traditionally contains more THC than CBD, cannabis breeders today (by using selective breeding techniques), have managed to create varieties of cannabis with high levels of CBD and next to zero levels of THC. These strains are rare but have become more popular in recent years due to their myriad of benefits.
The fact that cannabidiol is non-psychoactive gives the chemical a significant advantage as a medicine, since health professionals prefer treatments with minimal side effects. CBD “does not interfere with several psychomotor and psychological functions,” and several studies suggest that CBD is “well tolerated and safe” even at high doses.
It’s a viable medication for many patients suffering from a wide array of chronic ailments. Studies have found CBD to possess the following properties:
- Antiemetic (reduces nausea and vomiting)
- Anticonvulsant (suppresses seizure activity)
- Antipsychotic (combats psychosis disorders)
- Anti-inflammatory (combats inflammatory disorders; approximately 10X stronger than acetaminophen)
- Anti-oxidant (combats neurodegenerative disorders)
- Anti-tumoral/Anti-cancer (combats tumour and cancer cells)
- Anxiolytic/Anti-depressant (combats anxiety and depression disorders)
- Immune Suppressant (combats auto-immune disease)
Another benefit of CBD is that it reduces the negative effects of THC. CBD seems to offer a natural protection against the cannabis high as it will act to decrease the psychotropic effects felt from the THC; CBD actually blocks the high associated with THC. Patients should also be aware that the use of CBD in conjunction with the use of THC will also prolong the amount of time that the THC will be effective in the system.
At FARM we offer a variety of CBD based products, including:
- Capsules (12mg, and 20mg CBD, 40mg CBD capsules)
- Tincture (5mg/ml, or 10mg/ml tincture, 16.7mg/ml full spectrum CBD Tincture, 33mg/ml full spectrum CBD Tincture)
- Phoenix Tears (1ml Viridesco Oil, 850mg Oil)
- CBD Crystal Isolate
- CBD Honey Oil (.25ml, .5ml)
- Flowers (Look for CBD in the name)
We also offer a couple of CBD based product for your furry friends:
Speak to any one of FARM’s knowledgable budtenders for dosing information, and other CBD alternatives.